George D. Chen, D.D.S. – Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry
Every year, on January 1st, we all tend to make “New Year’s Resolutions” – promises that we make to ourselves about changes we hope to integrate into our lives for the new year. This year is an extra special one, as it marks the beginning of a new decade at a time when many of us are finding life more stressful than ever, with less and less time for self-care.
The problem, as we all know, is that all too often we do not follow through on our resolutions. We may want these things for ourselves, but many of them:
- Require a significant commitment at a time when our lives are busier than ever.
- May be changes we want for ourselves now, but may not care about later.
- Represent something temporary – something without long term implications.
For example, healthy living is extremely important, and something that we have always tried to promote here at Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry. But a resolution of “going to the gym more” only works if you genuinely enjoy the gym. A resolution of “eat healthier” only works when you have the means and time to make healthy foods.
These are all important changes, but they are also ideas that tend to be fleeting in our busy lives. It helps to have resolutions that are:
- Easier to complete.
- Longer lasting.
- Capable of providing a substantial change to our health and happiness.
That is why this year, maybe it’s time to consider cosmetic dentistry, for those that have long wanted to improve their smile but have been waiting for the right moment.
What Can Cosmetic Dentistry Do?
Many of us live with issues with our smile, both aesthetic and functional. Missing teeth, chipped teeth, crooked teeth, stained teeth – these are common among men and women of all ages. They cause us to cover our mouths when we smile or feel self-conscious when meeting new people.
They also represent a great new year’s resolution – one with the potential to really change how we feel about ourselves, all in a way that is both beneficial and achievable. Using cosmetic dentistry techniques, Dr. Skelton and Dr. Chen can help to change your smile in a way that benefits you both cosmetically and functionally, providing you with a healthier looking smile, better bite, and chance to feel confident in yourself again.
Why Cosmetic Dentistry is a Great Resolution?
What makes cosmetic dentistry such a great New Year’s Resolution is that it has everything a great resolution needs:
- It is self-care. You deserve to be proud of your smile and happy with yourself. If you’ve felt uncomfortable about your smile in the past, cosmetic dentistry offers you a way to build your confidence and take care of your oral health in the process.
- It is easily obtainable. Most smile makeovers can be completed in a few appointments, and in some cases just one appointment. That means you’re able to see the results of this resolution right away.
- It is long lasting. Depending on the treatment, many of these procedures can last for years, decades, or even the rest of your life – well beyond 2020 alone.
So if you’re someone that has always struggled with your new year’s resolutions, and you’ve always wanted to improve the look or function of your smile, maybe your 2020 resolution is the perfect time to make a resolution that will truly last. Contact us today at 916-984-6051 today for a consultation.
Dec 9th, 2019 12:52 pm
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on 2020 Resolutions: A New Smile
Folsom is a working community. There are many families here that find themselves very busy with work at places like Intel, the State of California, Kaiser, and more. It’s hard for people to find time to see the dentist, so when that time is available it becomes important to get all the treatment you need right away.
Dental crowns have always been one of the most important procedures that we perform in dentistry. But traditional crowns struggled with a problem that directly affected busy families: they required multiple dental visits, often spread several weeks apart. But now, Dr. Skelton and Dr. Chen are able to offer same day dental crowns using the state of the art CEREC CAD/CAM System, and it’s changing how patients are able to receive treatment.
What Are Same Day Crowns?
Not long ago, crowns needed to be crafted by a third party, so your dentist would prepare your teeth, fit you with a temporary crown, send the data about your dental requirements to another company, wait until the crown arrived, and then call you back in for a visit to install the crown.
The process usually took about two weeks. Temporary crowns were an annoying inconvenience, and patients would need to be available right away to make sure that the crown could be fitted before the temporary crown fell off. But with CEREC, the machine is able to used CAD technology to create a tooth while you wait. Dr. Skelton or Dr. Chen take your measurements and data, program it into the machine, and the machine creates a permanent crown in hours instead of weeks.
Why Are Same Day Crowns Important?
For the dentist, same day crowns make sure that your procedure is completed to the best of our ability in the shortest amount of time, which helps streamline the process and ensures a procedure with fewer complications. But they’re also highly advantageous for the patient, with benefits that include:
- Less Time – We know how busy you are. Those in Folsom and El Dorado Hills rarely have a lot of time available to spend going to the dentist. This ensures that all you need to plan for is one dental visit, drastically reducing scheduling inconveniences.
- No Temp Crowns – Few patients enjoy temporary crowns. That’s because they’re not fitted to the mouth, they require some foul tasting putty, and they do not have the appearance of real teeth the way that your permanent crown will.
- Better Outcome – With temporary crowns, your dentist needs to drill deeper into the tooth in order to fit the crown and prepare for the new one. Once it arrives, there are few options if there is some type of mistake. But with CEREC crowns, you’re still in the office in there are any problems, you will not need to drill more tooth, and you won’t run any risks of a temporary crown falling out or causing problems with your bite.
There are situations in which a traditional dental crown may be preferred, and we’ll be happy to talk to about them if they happen. But for most patients, same-day crowns are simply better. Learn more about our dental crowns in Folsom by contacting Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry, today.
Dec 2nd, 2019 12:48 pm
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Benefits of CEREC Same Day Crowns for Folsom Dental Patients
There is nothing quite like tooth pain. For some, tooth pain is one of the most severe forms of pain and discomfort the human body can experience. Your mouth is different from other parts of your body, in that it has thousands of pain receptors and converts any kind of contact into instant pain that is often considered unbearable. Even though it’s “just your teeth,” there is little denying that tooth pain often feels like an emergency.
If you have tooth pain in Folsom, or you are living in nearby El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Granite Bay, or anywhere in the Greater Sacramento metro area, call Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry today at 916-983-6051. We may also be available for emergency appointments when needed.
Causes of Tooth Pain
Your teeth and gums protect the pulp and nerves within the tooth. If any foreign items make contact with these nerves, it stimulates the pain receptors and causes discomfort. That pain may not be limited to the mouth, either. Pain behind the eye, or behind the ear, or in the head, or in the jaw or neck may also be linked to exposing these nerves.
Tooth pain can occur all at once or gradually, and is typically caused by issues that include:
- Tooth decay.
- Cracked or broken tooth.
- Dental infections.
Biting a hard object or getting hit in the mouth can damage teeth and lead to pain. But if it doesn’t appear to have a clear cause, chances are that you have a cavity or infection that has reached the tooth pulp.
How Do We Treat Tooth Pain?
Treating tooth pain depends on the underlying cause. Some of the most common options include:
- Root Canal
- Dental Fillings
Luckily, toothaches respond well to treatment, and the treatment for a toothache tends to be a simple and comfortable procedure that we can perform in our office at Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry.
When is Dental Pain an Emergency?
We’ll always try to schedule you in as soon as possible if you have a toothache, because we know how painful it can be. But in some cases, your dental pain may be considered an emergency and requires treatment as fast as possible. Examples include:
- If the pain doesn’t respond to an over the counter pain medication.
- There is significant bleeding from the gum/tooth site
- Tooth has been knocked out (it is sometimes possible to save the tooth if placed back fast enough).
- There is evidence of a severe infection, including swelling or pus.
These are only a few examples. If you aren’t sure, we welcome you to call us today.
Keep Dental Emergencies Away
Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry is available to treat tooth pain in Folsom. But many types of tooth pain can be prevented as well. Make sure you come for your regular dental visits, so that we can prevent tooth decay and keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible.
Nov 20th, 2019 5:03 pm
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Tooth Pain Help in Folsom with Dr. Christina Skelton and Dr. George Chen
Every year, on December 31st, all of the dental insurance benefits they had available for the year will expire.
You paid for your dental insurance all year, whether it was through your employer or separately on your own. When they’re gone, they’re gone forever, and while it’s true you refresh it in the new year, that’s your money that is lost when it goes unused. If you and your family have any benefits remaining, the time to schedule it is now.
Time for You and the Whole Family
At Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry, our schedule fills up fast. That’s why we strongly encourage you to schedule your appointments now – while the best times are still available.
If you haven’t yet used your dental insurance benefits, call us at 916-983-6051. We also accept new patients, and in some cases we may be able to see your entire family on the SAME DAY depending on the time and procedures available*.
We’re also more than happy to do complementary benefits checks to see what you have remaining and what services you can receive, and we can always schedule you for a second appointment after the new year if the work needed can wait or be spread out between visits.
It’s so important to take care of your dental health. Come see us at Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry in Folsom. 916-983-6051, or fill out the “Request an Appointment” button right here on our site.
*Spots do fill up very fast, so please call us as soon as possible.
Nov 15th, 2019 6:26 pm
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on All Your Appointments – All At Once
Halloween is tomorrow, and then the day after starts what can loosely be described as a long holiday season. November is when we start planning for family visits, friend gatherings, vacations, and time away from school, and while Thanksgiving itself is still several weeks away and Christmas and Hanukkah longer still, mentally and financially, the beginning of this season is about to begin.
You have a lot on your mind during this time of year. But, as always, it’s still important to care about your oral health. That is why we have compiled a few important things to know about dental care and oral health coming into this November holiday season.
This to Know About Oral Health in November
- Your Holiday Stress Does Affect Your Teeth – Even though it’s always fun to see friends and family, the stress of the holidays, including the gift buying, the family tensions, and the vacation planning, can be extremely damaging to your oral health. Stress increases the amount of bad dental bacteria, leads to tooth grinding and clenching, and increases your susceptibility to infections. You should be giving your teeth the utmost care all year, but that is especially true during this time of year.
- Thanksgiving Food is Bad for Teeth – Most holiday food can be damaging to your teeth and gums. During the holiday, the pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, wine, stuffing, and more are all rich in sugars that increase dental bacteria and may stain teeth. Brushing and flossing often during and after Thanksgiving can help reduce the risk. There is some good news though – turkey is one of the best foods you can eat for your teeth, provided it doesn’t get stuck in between them.
- There Are Two Months Left on Your Dental Benefits – November is also a reminder that your dental benefits do expire, and they expire soon before they refresh for the 2020 year. This can lead to several challenges. First, it means you’ll want to schedule an appointment within these last two months to utilize your benefits. Second, it means that other people are doing the same, and so prime appointments may not be available. We strongly encourage you to call and schedule your time now, before your ideal appointment window fills up.
Dental Care for November and the Holidays
With those issues in mind, the good news is that you can prevent or reduce the damage of most dental issues by making sure your brushing and flossing is prioritized this holiday season, so that holiday foods do not get stuck in teeth. In addition, your dental benefits will refresh in January, so if you plan to partake in a lot of foods and activities that are not ideal for your dental health, you can set up an appointment in January and our dentists will do their best to help prevent long term issues.
But as your current or future dentist, we want to make sure that you’re caring for your oral health this time of year. The holiday season is about to be here, but let’s not forget how important your health is to even more enjoyable holidays now and in the future.
Oct 30th, 2019 10:07 am
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on What to Know About Dental Care This November
Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry is dedicated to your smile. We care about your teeth. We care about your gums. We care about making sure you have the happiest possible experience. It’s our commitment as dentists in Sacramento County to make sure you have a smile you can be proud of, with general and cosmetic dentistry that is here to help your teeth stay clean and healthy.
But what good is a smile if people don’t see it?
Sometimes it helps to get out there and do something that will make you smile and laugh. That’s why today, for a change of pace, we’ll give you some information on the comedy clubs of Sacramento County – places you can go to show off your oral health through your laughs.
The Comedy Clubs of Sacramento
- Sacramento Comedy Spot – The Sacramento Comedy Spot has all different types of comedy throughout the week, along with classes to teach yourself the same comedy techniques. They are best known for their improv shows, but they also have comedy theater, standup comedians, and more.
- Punch Line Sacramento – Punch Line is the venue of choice for established comedians, with plenty of space to attract a large crowd. As of this writing, comedians like Michael Rapaport, Michelle Wolf, Shawn Wayans, and Phoebe Robinson are all scheduled for comedy acts, along with several emerging comedians.
- Laughs Unlimited – Laugh’s Unlimited is features some well known comedians, but appeals more to local and emerging comedy. There is also live music and a nightclub. The venue is smaller for a more intimate experience.
- Tommy T’s Comedy Club – Tommy T’s is the only comedy club outside of Sacramento, located in Rancho Cordova and not that far from our office in Folsom. Established comedians do come to Tommy T’s, but it is best for finding underground comedians that may be hilarious but not quite have the fanfare.
Outside of Sacramento County there is also Blacktop Comedy in Rocklin. Like the Sacramento Comedy Spot, they are best known for their improv, classes, and shows led by their staff. They also have many open mic nights, which can be quite fun.
Laughing is Great For Your Dental Health
We all live busy lives, and when we do have free time, it’s sometimes easy to forget that these comedy clubs are out there. But laughter is more than just a fun night out. It’s also a great way to reduce stress, which is important for your dental health as well.
So if you’re looking for something fun to do, consider a comedy club in Sacramento. And if you’re ready to care for your smile, call Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry today at 916-983-6051.
Oct 24th, 2019 10:01 am
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Places to Smile in Sacramento County – Comedy Clubs and Venues
Your choice in dentist matters. It’s not uncommon to choose a dentist that lives as close as possible to your local area. But while there may be many great dentists in Rancho Cordova, choosing a dentist should involve more than simply looking to see who is closest to you.
You only need a dentist a few times a year. Choose the best one you can find, even if that means a bit of a drive.
Why Choose Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry in Folsom, CA
Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry is an award winning dental office led by Dr. George Chen and Dr. Christina Skelton. Dr. Chen earned the Style Magazine Reader’s Choice award for “Best Dentist” in the Folsom and El Dorado Hills area for 10 years, and the office itself has won “Best Dental Office” on several occasion.
Dr. Chen and Dr. Skelton are both general and cosmetic dentists, capable of keeping your teeth healthy and your smile bright. At Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry, we’d love a chance to see you and provide the best quality dental care we can.
From Rancho Cordova, we are easily accessible via either the East Bidwell Street exit, or via White Rock Road. If you’re interested in learning more about our office or services, please contact us today at 916-983-6051.
Dental Services for Rancho Cordova, CA
Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry performs all of the dental care you expect from your local family dentist. We provide teeth cleaning, fillings, X-rays, sealants, and more. We have an endodontic specialist that can provide root canals as well.
But we also use the latest in technology and offer services that are not available at every dental office. These include:
- CEREC Crowns – CEREC single day crowns provide realistic looking crowns within minimal wait time. Traditional crowns are sent to a third party and can take as long as 2 weeks to arrive. CEREC crowns are available in only a few hours while you wait, giving you and the dentist a chance to see them in place right away.
- Invisalign – Dr. Chen and Dr. Skelton are certified Invisalign providers. Instead of going to an orthodontist, you can receive Invisalign from your dentist, which means that he’ll be able to better pay attention to your teeth while you go through the Invisalign process.
- Sedation Dentistry – Sedation dentistry is designed for those with dental anxiety. Our dentists can approve you for oral conscious sedation, which relaxes patients and makes it easy for those even with terrible dental phobia to visit the dentist and get the care they need.
These are only a few of the services that we are able to offer patients from Rancho Cordova that are willing and able to travel to our office.
Cosmetic Dentistry in Rancho Cordova and Complex Cases
Dr. Chen and Dr. Skelton are also able to provide cosmetic dentistry, including:
- Porcelain Veneers
- Crowns and Bridges
- Teeth Whitening, and More
We also offer Zoom tooth whitening, with the potential to make teeth up to 8 shades brighter in a single session.
Our dentists are also trained in what’s known as “complex cases.” This is where a person’s oral health needs a combination of many different procedures in order to improve a smile. Some dentists will turn down these cases as they require a level of training that not all dentists have matched. We are happy to provide this type of smile makeover to offer support for those in Rancho Cordova with more advanced dental needs.
Rancho Cordova General and Family Dentistry
We are happy to see your entire family here at Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry, and commonly see patients of all ages and through all stages of their dental health. We know that it can be hard to take time off work. We’re able to offer faster appointments if necessary if you’re in a hurry, so that you can quickly drive to Folsom, finish your dental care, and come back.
Here at Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry, we believe in staying up to date with the advancements of the time. Technology has improved considerably over the past decade, and we explore all available research to find the tools that make it easier to better service your needs. Some of the advanced technology we have available include:
- CEREC CAD/CAM System
- Digital X-Rays
- Intra-Oral Cameras, and More
Lots of new technology joins the market. We do our best to evaluate each one to make sure they are both better and most cost efficient for your services, and receive training on them when we find that there are new additions that will help us provide better care.
How to Get Here – Travel from Rancho Cordova to Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry
As Folsom’s neighbor, there are quite a few routes you can take from Rancho Cordova to reach our office in Folsom. The most common route is to find your nearest entrance to US-50 E (towards South Lake Tahoe) and get off at the East Bidwell Street exit. Head north on East Bidwell street until you see the turn for Hana Way. We’re the first building on the right.
The next route is similar and useful for those that want to avoid the freeway. Head towards White Rock Road, and travel all the way down White Rock until you reach East Bidwell street. Then turn left and follow the same instructions. We are also accessible via Folsom Blvd. Travel north towards Blue Ravine Road. Take a right on East Bidwell (you’ll see a Target on the left of the street). Then turn left on Hana Way.
We’d Love to See You – Rancho Cordova Dentist Patients
Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry has many patients that come from Rancho Cordova to our office a few times a year for their dental visits. We recognize how common and easy it is to want to choose a dentist right in your city. But at only a 20 minute drive, Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry offers an opportunity for superior dentistry only a few exits away.
If you are looking for a new dentist, give us a call today at 916-983-6051, or fill out our “Request an Appointment” form and we’ll do our best to respond as quickly as possible. We can’t wait to see you on your visit, and we’re confident you’ll be pleased you chose to use our dentists at Esthetic Reflection in Dentistry.
Oct 23rd, 2019 9:45 am
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Rancho Cordova Dentist – A Short Drive to Folsom, CA
Different teeth need different levels of care. Some people have near-perfect oral health, and come in to see our dentists for a cleaning and a brief examination. But others struggle with their oral health, and require dental care that is much more advanced.
We’re here for all forms of dental care, and have many lucky patients that have excellent teeth and gums. But the more complex the dental problems, the more your choice in dentist becomes critical in your ability to take care of your oral health.
Leaders in Complex Cases
Dr. Chen and Dr. Skelton of Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry are more than just Folsom Dentists. They are dentists trained in complex cases – difficult and complex dental care that requires different techniques to better address the smile.
It is why Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry is the most common choice for those that say:
- “I need lots of help with my teeth”
- “I haven’t been to the dentist in a long time.”
- “My teeth need a lot of work.”
Even basic dentistry does require an expert. But the more complex a case, the more it becomes important to find someone that genuinely understands the intricacies of the mouth. Dr. Chen and Dr. Skelton of Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry were specifically trained to help those that have more complicated dental care needs, providing both general and cosmetic dentistry to keep our patients smiling.
No matter where you fall on the oral health spectrum, choose a dentist you can trust for the simplest or most complicated of dental care needs. Call Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry today at 916-983-6051.
Oct 15th, 2019 1:30 am
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Need Lots of Help With Your Teeth? Call Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry Today
It’s that time of year again. We’re entering the final quarter of the year. It’s holiday season, it’s getting cooler, it’s darker early, and it’s time to remember that on December 31st, any dental benefits you have remaining will expire.
Dental insurance is one of the only forms of insurance that expires at the end of the year and starts fresh the following year. Any remaining benefits that you have now must be used by December 31st, or they will disappear forever.
The Holidays Are Busy for Everyone
Now, you might be saying to yourself: “well, I still have 3 months!”
But don’t forget that this is holiday season. It’s not that uncommon to find yourself with surprise guests, vacations, and distractions that make life too busy to remember your dental care. And because you’ve been paying for your health benefits all year, it is important to make sure that you’re able to take advantage of them before they refresh for the new year.
Use Your Dental Insurance Soon – Contact Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry
Your dental insurance is yours to use. Schedule an appointment before yours expires, and make sure that you’re taking advantage of the benefits that you pay for. Contact Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry today to schedule your appointment.
Sep 26th, 2019 10:17 am
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Use it Or Lose It – Taking Advantage of Your Dental Benefits
At Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry, one of our goals is personalized service. We take our time, hoping to provide you with the best, most detailed dental care possible. We want to make sure that we know every nanometer on your mouth, and we want to know that you’re genuinely valued as a patient.
But we also know that sometimes you’re in a hurry. There are days when you need dental care fast, because you have to get back to work or have other items on your plate. If you need a quick dental appointment, we can help there as well.
Schedule Fast Dental Care at Esthetic Reflections in Dentistry
On those days when you have somewhere you have to be and only a short time to see the dentist, let us know in advance and we will do our best to accommodate.
We will never make sacrifices with your oral health. If the work we need to do is going to take time, we’ll take our time to make sure it is completed with the utmost accuracy. But we can also make sure that you’re cared for in other ways:
- We can make sure you do not have to sit in the waiting room for long.
- We can make sure that the dentist is ready to see you right away.
- We can see if it’s possible to reduce the number of procedures per day.
We cannot promise that a fast dental visit is always possible, because your mouth may need more attention and care, and strongly believe your oral health is too important to rush through. But there are little things that we can do to reduce your time in the office so that you can fit it into your schedule and get in and out as fast as possible.
If you need a quick dental appointment and you have limited time available, schedule with us at 916-983-6051 or via our Request an Appointment” form and let us know your schedule and your timeframe, and we’ll let you know what is possible.
Sep 16th, 2019 10:47 am
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Fast Dentist Appointments Available